Germs Spread Quickly in the Office and Leave You Out of Commission. Protect Yourself with These Five Ways to Stay Healthy.
It’s Monday morning, and you just pulled into work. You know you only have to make it to Friday, and then you can enjoy the vacation you’ve been looking forward to for months. In four days, you’ll be standing on a beach in Florida with the sun and the waves. You can already feel the sun in your hair. It’s going to be GREAT! As your coworker settles in next to you, you hear her coughing and sneezing but think nothing of it. Two days later, you’re sick as a dog. That vacation you’ve been looking forward to—canceled. How did this happen, you ask? Office spaces are crawling with germs. You may not see them, but they are there. Luckily D’s Cleaning Service is here to make sure you never have to cancel another vacation again!
One Little Cough Ruined Your Vacation. Here’s How it Happened
We’ve all woken up sick and drug our feet to work even though we really shouldn’t have. Everyone knows germs spread quickly, especially through cramped office spaces, but how fast do germs really spread? According to a study by the University of Arizona, one sick person can spread germs to 50 percent of the most commonly touched office surfaces in as little as four hours. By the end of the workday, that number jumps to 70 percent. These surfaces range from the coffee pot handle to doorknobs to light switches. Community technology, such as phones and copy machines were contaminated as well. The researches calculated that employees face a 40 to 90 percent chance of infection—all because one person decided to go into work sick! The next time you wake up sick, do your coworkers a favor and stay home.
What Precautions Can You Take to Prevent Germs Spreading?
Desks and cubicles are a hotspot for germs to multiply. In fact, researchers found the average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat. Don’t quit your office job yet though! There are specific precautions you can take to prevent the spread of germs around the office and on your own desk.
- If You’re Sick, Stay Home – The best way to keep germs from spreading around the office is to stay home when you’re sick. You will save the entire office from exposure and feel better sooner.
- Disinfect on a Daily Basis – Wipe down your desk and technology every day with a disinfecting wipe. Bacteria levels decreased drastically (99.9 percent) when surfaces were disinfected once per day. Be sure to disinfect, not just clean!
- Wash Your Hands – Washing your hands reduces the spread of germs significantly. Wash your hands after you use the restroom, before you eat, and after large meetings.
- Educate Your Coworkers – Educating your office friends will make a huge impact on the spread of germs. Lead by example and take the initiative. Disinfect shared workspaces and appliances that are often missed during regular cleaning. It takes a team to keep the office clean and germ-free.
- Hire a Commercial Cleaner – Hiring a commercial cleaner to clean and disinfect your office on a regular basis will help to keep germs from multiplying. Commercial cleaners clean the areas you don’t think to disinfect and can do so on a set schedule so everyone in the office is better protected.
D’s Cleaning Service Provides Effective Commercial Cleaning Services
While these tips will help with the germ problem, D’s Cleaning Service can make sure germs in the office are reduced even more. We provide weekly, monthly, or one-time standard commercial cleaning that can help stop the spread of office germs. Our general cleaning includes disinfecting those problem surfaces and thoroughly cleaning the rest of your office to leave a healthy office space. With a routine cleaning from D’s, your office will be cleaned, disinfected, and safe for you and your employees. Give D’s Cleaning Service a call and schedule your office cleaning today!